Friday, August 12, 2011

Edward's Castles



I've just arrived in the lovely country of Wales with my accomplice Nicholas Deemworthy. 

He flew in to Dublin a few days ago, and after sharing several pints at the Guinness Factory,

and touring a Viking museum, we took a ferry from Dublin
across the Irish Sea to Holyhead on the Isle of Anglesy.

 
  




We then took a train across the northern coast of Wales, and were picked up by Nick's Aunt and Uncle, and then drove down into the mountainous interior of the country to a scenic little village in the countryside.  







 After several weeks of backpacking through Ireland, sleeping in hostels, eating whatever was cheapest, I feel like I've arrived in a paradise--which looks much like the Shire!


Today, Nick and I have had the opportunity to see some of the greatest castles of the Middle Ages. 
If you've seen the movie Braveheart--starring Mel Gibson as William Wallace--then you've seen King Edward I "Longshanks" the fearsome English King who not only fought the Scots, but conquered Wales as well.  

 After defeating the Welsh, King Edward built a series of imposing castles throughout the North of the country; several of the castles have survived in excellent condition.  As we toured these castles today, Nick and I had a chance to walk their walls and climb their towers...
Castell Caernarfon

Castell Harlech





Crumbling Stairs (they really were)





"I'm Coming Out..."
Le Archway


On the Catwalk with his European Carry-All




No Comment.


2 comments:

  1. O Quare, O Quare, sine me discedis? Ego te tempus bonum habere spero.
    Vale, Chuck W.

    ReplyDelete